August 12, 1980 to October 23, 2006

Robert Andrew Romero
"PACO"

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way
by moonlight, and his punishment is
that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." Oscar Wilde“

Sunday, February 10, 2008


Or at least something to give you a warm feeling in the middle of winter. Andrew took karate lessons when he was about five years old. He got up to an orange belt before deciding he wasn't interested anymore. Then when he was a senior in high school he decided to go back into training. He did very well and then one day, poof, just like that he decided he was done with it. His instructor came to see me and told me that he had never seen anyone with the natural talent that Andrew had for the sport. We all begged him to reconsider but Andrew was Andrew - and on to something else.
Over the next couple of days I will post some of the photos of Andrew in his karate outfit (yes I know it has a name, I just don't know how to spell it - ha!) These were taken when he was five or six years old by the Kim Jew Studio in Albuquerque -

13 comments:

Toni said...

His eyes just take your breath away!!!

sandy said...

Well if that isn't the cutest photo I've seen. One of my guys took karate lessons at 5 and we all were tired of being kicked in the legs..haha.

great photo and fun reading.

sandy

Cara said...

Toni - Your right about his eyes- he was sick so often and his eyes looked bad so much of the time but right before he died they looked beautiful again - The last photo I have of him, the one of the two of us together, I was amazed to see those beautiful eyes again.

Cara said...

Sandy - I had to laugh at your comment about being kicked. I remember one time Andrew went to a friends house when he wasn't supposed to and I went to walk him home with my hand on the back of his neck and he didn't like it and used a karate move to "spin" and get out of my grip. Ha!

Toni said...

That is so funny Cara! I got a really good laugh out of picturing Andrew doing that!

sandy said...

hahaha, I can just see it...

I don't think after those lessons, the little ones can hold back, they just have to kick..

Isn't it called a Gia or something like that.

Cara said...

Sandy - you made me look it up - its called a "gi".. Thanks -

sandy said...

sorry to be a pest. I was enlarging each of the karate pics and when I enlarged this one I felt a jolt of electricity goosebumps..this is the one I'm drawing.

Cara said...

Sandy - that is so cool - thanks for telling me about it. Also, please send me a picture of your drawing, I'd love to see it.

sandy said...

cara, I can't find an email for you.

you can email me at sandyzeb7@yahoo.com

it's about done except I'm having trouble with a certain thing...

I put up what I have done so far on my art board.

Cara said...

Sandy - what a tremendous honor - thank you so much.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

OMG is he cute!
Goosebumps are a sign.

Cara said...

Thanks Mary -